Home
Search
FAQ

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to fatrike

You are currently viewing our fat tire trike boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free fat tire trike community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!
Forum rules
Please limit any uploaded photographs to no more than 800 pixels in width, and a resolution of 72 pixels per inch. Thanks!

Post subject: What Are The Pitfalls Converting To A Micro Fat Trike
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:29 am

26" x 4" tires = full fat
20" x 4" tires = mini fat
20" x 3" tires = micro fat

I have been discussing converting a 20" road trike to a micro fat trike with enumclaw. He is interested in dirt trail riding one of his Catrikes and I need to get my trike down the trail after the snow has been mostly plowed. We both might benefit from 3" wide tires, using our current ISO 406 rims.

I think on my 2009 ICE that I could do the front tires with Kenda K1008A Flame 20" x 3" Tires (ISO 406) $17 each and a 2" to 2.125" wide knobby on the drive wheel. I don't see a huge need for knobby tires on the front wheels since I ride fairly flat terrain, just need some flotation.

So, besides clearance and lack of fenders (mud guards), what kind of problems do you think we would have going to the 3" wide tires?

Post subject: Re: What Are The Pitfalls Converting To A Micro Fat Trike
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 pm
Site Admin

I think it's a great idea Mt Top! Of course, I've been totally spoiled by the comfy ride of these fat tires, so you could say I'm somewhat (or heavily) biased, ha ha. I am putting new tires on my fatrike, and as you alluded to, I think there is no need to put huge aggressive tires on the front because there is no power to those wheels. I think a mild tread design on the front is a good way to go, with an aggressive tread tire in the rear for traction as needed. When I used to have my 2007 ICE Qnt for all those trips I took, I would think that a 3 inch tire would have been very comfortable, but the largest back then were 2 inch Schwalbe Big Apples. I used the Marathon Plus to avoid flats, and they were somewhat comfy, but nothing like these new fat tires currently available. Comfort is a significant aspect of triking in my opinion, and the larger they get, the softer they are. Of course, this is the opposite of what high performance road speedsters want, but hey, fatrikes are designed for completely different riding situations.

Post subject: ICE Micro Fat Trike - Ready For Testing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Converting my 2009 ICE to a Micro Fat. Will be interesting to see how it does in the snow. We could be getting some fresh snow this week. I am most interested in how the tires do after the local trail has been plowed by an ATV. There typically will be a few inches of slush at road crossing where the 2" Big Apples sink in and the trike grinds to a halt.

Local bike shop ordered the Kenda Flames 20" x 3" and they arrived the next day!!
2" Big Apple on the left, 3" Kenda Flame on the right (both are not mounted)

With one Flame and one BA mounted, can you tell which is which? Of course you can.

The mounted Kenda Flame on my 1" wide rims. Wider rims might be better, but for this test I'm trying to use what I have and just changing tires. Also changed from a 1.75" knobby to a 2.125" knobby on the rear drive wheel.

Why not knobby tires on the front? Most of my Winter riding is on a paved trail that is mostly flat (Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes) and some road riding when needed (also mostly flat). The Silver Valley (Idaho) is about 20 miles long and 1 to 2 miles wide, avoiding hills is pretty easy if you stay in the valley.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:42 am

I suspect that knobby on the back will improve things more than anything for the conditions you ride in. We'll be very interested in hearing how it goes.

Post subject: Pitfalls - Micro Fat Trike
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:54 am

Pitfall One - Slush! Ok, not the Micro Fat's problem, but the knobby on the drive wheel. The 2.125" knobby did not like a few inches of slush. Slip, slide and grind to a halt is what happened.

Not much testing done on the first ride. I did notice that on bare pavement my max speed was 12mph. With 3 Big Apples I would expect 14mph. There was some vibration and whine which I think was from the new knobby. I will try riding with the old (worn down) knobby tire and also a road tire to see if the max speed changes or if it is the Flames that are limiting speed.

The old snow/ice pictured here was not a problem for the Flames or the knobby. The few times I got a Flame on snow over 1" deep they seemed to work pretty good. More testing needed.

Post subject: Micro Fat Trike - Rear Tire Test
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm

I was able to test three different rear tires today on the same stretch of flat bare pavement.

New knobby: Kenda 20" x 2.125" (57-406, $15) @ 40psi = 12mph
Old knobby: CST 20" x 1.75" (47-406, $10) @ 35psi = 13+mph
Road tire: Tryker 20" x 1.50" (40-406, $42) @ 45psi = 14+mph

For what felt like the same amount of effort, the Tryker was able to reach 14mph while the New Knobby was difficult getting over 12mph. The Old Knobby center knobs are less than 1/8" high, much shorter than on the New Knobby tire. Today where the slushy areas of the trail were frozen, all three rear tires did well for traction.

Last edited by Mt_Top on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:22 am

Looks like the narrow tire wins, at least under those conditions.

It would be interesting to see a graph of rolling resistance vs temperature for those tires. Maybe the flexing of the wider tires at the ground sucks up a lot more energy than a narrow tire when it is cold.

Post subject: Pitfalls - Micro Fat Trike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 am

Pitfall Two - Not all ideas work out

Looking at the clearance around the rear mounted knobby, it appeared that "maybe" a Kenda Flame 20" x 3" would fit.

After removing the fender and deflating the tire, this pic shows there just is not enough room for such a large tire using the original 2009 ICE rear swingarm. I wonder if it (or a 24"/26") would work on the ICE Extended Rear upgrade?